St Peter’s Post #17
Welcome to our weekly blog newsletter – the St Peter’s Post! And if it’s ever been needed – this has been the week! With so much happening, we don’t want you to miss out on any of our big news and little moments. Of course, as you all know by now, the major event this week was the launch of the website – www.stpetersbray.ie All the staff and students worked really hard to put it together, but special thanks has to go to Ms Brennan, who put in so much work to turn all the content into the fantastic website we now have! Read all about our launch here.
Please make sure you check it out! The school spirit in St Peter’s is unrivalled and something that many people have commented on. The comments on this blog alone really show how much the students of St Peter’s and their parents love the school. We really appreciate your support and help in getting the word out there about all of the exciting developments!
As you know, we’re closed on Monday and Tuesday for St Patrick’s Day. We were happy to share the details for the St Patrick’s Day festival in Bray on the blog during the week and we really recommend you check it out.
So what else has been going on this week?
- We’re delighted to announce that we won a prize during Engineer’s Week! You can read all about here. If you missed our coverage of Engineer’s Week, you can find a round up post here!
- We attended a Cross-Country event during the week in Avondale. Read all about it here!
- Well done to 4th class, whose attendance has been fantastic all year. Read all about it here.
- We welcomed Brigid the Biodiversity Bee from St Brigid’s in Greystones this week. See her adventures in St Peter’s here, documented by our very own Codie, helped by Nathan, Abbi and Billy.
- Ms Mitchell’s class had great fun reading ‘The Twits’ during the week. See their great photos here.
- 2nd class had a great podcast detailing their work on their latest book ‘Zac Power: Frozen Fear’ here.
- 3rd class presented the first of their stop motion animations this week – well worth a look here!
- 5th class continued their adventures in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths) with electricity here.
- Did you know the web celebrated its 25th birthday during the week? Check out our post about it here.
- Well done to Lorcan from 6th class who was the student of the week in Ms Mitchell’s this week!
- Well done to Aaron and Ameesh who showcased their entries for the Bord Gais Energy Student Theatre Awards. Listen to them here.
- Bhí Seachtain na Gaeilge ar siúl. Ghlacamar páirt i gcluiche ó Scoil Ó Clochain. Féach ar an bpost anseo. Beidh ceolchoirm againn an seachtain seo chugainn!
- Our ‘Wednesday for Parents’ mini-series focused on helping with reading homework – looking for tips? Find them here!
- Calvin from 4th class brought in his turtles recently – read all about them here!
- 2nd class recorded another of their hilarious poems ‘Oh, I wish I’d looked after me teeth!’ here.
- 5th class showed off their beautiful Picasso Portraits here.
In other news this week:
- We got a lovely reply from bray.ie on Twitter about our blog post on the St Patrick’s Day Festival.
— bray.ie (@bray_ie) March 14, 2014
- We were delighted to get such a lovely reaction to our Engineer’s Week prize on Twitter so Robert from 5th class made this Vine to say thank you!
- 2nd class have added over 500 words to their vocabulary this year – well done guys!
- We used Clic News to research the conflict in the Ukraine.
- We sent out a call to other schools to see if they’d like to be included in our blogroll to the right of the page. We’re delighted to have such close friends on Twitter in other schools.
- We continued our work towards the Creative Schools award. Patryk from 6th was the first to record his stop motion animation in our after-school club this week, but there are a number of other groups almost ready!
- We were delighted to reach 1800 plays on Soundcloud this week! You can check out our podcasts here.
- We were so excited to see our dancing teacher Sue on RTE’s programme ‘Jigs & Wigs’ this week. You can catch up with it on the RTE Player here if you missed it.
- We set up our Design and Make project on Friday for 5th class. Check back next week for all the details!
- We had assembly on Friday – we demonstrated our new school website, we announced our Engineer’s Week prize and the Student Council gave an excellent report on all their work. Well done everyone!
- We were delighted to welcome Ms Hughes to the school during the week. Ms Hughes is working with 6th class at the moment.
- We were delighted to improve our standings in the Mathletes leaderboards. We are now third in the Total Mastery Points leaderboard and the Mastery Points per student board. We’ll post next week to update you about our progress with Mathletes and Khan Academy.
So that was this week! As we mentioned early in the post, we’re off on Monday and Tuesday, but we’ll see you all back bright and early at 8.50 on Wednesday morning. Enjoy your weekend. Lá Fhéile Pádraig!
As always, you can find all of our previous St Peter’s Posts here and now, with the new website, we’ve included space for the St Peter’s Posts here so that visitors to the website can keep up with all of our weekly news. You can access the latest St Peter’s Post at the bottom of the front page of the website or you can click on this link to see them all!