National Parents Council
The National Parents Council Primary was set up in 1985, under the Programme for Government, as the representative organisation for parents of children attending primary school, and received statutory recognition in the Education Act 1998.
The NPC has been working on your behalf, making submissions, attending meetings, ensuring the voices of parents of primary school children are being heard.
NPC exists to ensure that all parents are supported and empowered to become effective partners in their children’s education. NPC will work to increase the capacity and capability of the primary education sector, to achieve true partnership and deliver better outcomes for all children.
NPC knows that when parents and schools work together, children do better. Therefore NPC believes that:
- Parents must be actively engaged in the education of their children.
- Parent involvement in children’s education must be supported by the attitudes, beliefs and practices of all members of the school and broader education community.
- Parents should be viewed as partners in facilitating children’s learning and are supported in this role by the school and broader education community.
- Parents should be viewed as full partners in the decisions that affect their children and their family.
- Parents should be welcome in the school, and their support and assistance are sought as a valuable resource to support children’s education in the school.
- All communication and dialogue with parents must be regular, open, two-way and meaningful.
The NPC’s Key Activities are:
- Representing the parents’ voice in primary education
- Building participation
- Service delivery
NPC Service Delivery
NPC services are aimed at empowering parents so that they can support their children in all aspects of education.
The NPC helpline is a national confidential service for parents. The helpline staff listen, and gives information and support to parents to help them make the best possible decisions for and with their children.
You can contact the helpline at 01 8874477 (or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org) from 10am to 5pm Monday to Wednesday, and 10am to 4pm Thursday and Friday.
Training and Development
The NPC Training and Development programme is a national programme of training, development and support for parents. The purpose is to empower parents to play an active part in their child’s education at every level.
The NPC’s website, www.npc.ie, aims to provide parents with information regarding primary education. The site also allows parents an opportunity to give NPC their views regarding primary education issues.